Friday, November 8, 2013

Generation Gap


Anna knows I like spaetzle --I have upon occasion made myself one egg’s worth for breakfast-- so she emails me an article about spaetzle from Wednesday’s New York Times. 
Their recipe is almost identical to the one in my 1964 Joy of Cooking.  The only difference is that my recipe doesn’t include the caraway seeds, the cabbage, the leeks, the garlic cloves, the chile flakes, the thyme branch, the apple cider vinegar, the rye flour, the whole milk, the Gruyere or the Emmenthaler cheese. 

I do, however, sneak in a pinch of nutmeg.
 

3 comments:

  1. So...how *do* you make spaetzle in just a small batch?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do half this recipe --Joy of Cooking: Beat 2 eggs. Combine with 1 1/2 cups flour, 1/2 c water, 1/4 tsp salt. Book says 1/4 tsp baking power, I don't bother with that. (bit of nutmeg). Beat well, drop small bits in water or put through a collander or an official spaetzle maker, which looks like the larger holes of a grater. I like to simmer 5 minutes. Father Capon, in his book "The Supper of the Lamb" says "toss with an unconscionable amount of butter."

      Delete
  2. Unconscionable! Ha ha ha. Thanks for this. CMS

    ReplyDelete