Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Needle and Thimble

       What was it like during the war, Grandma?  For one thing, there was a severe labor shortage and girls could get just about any job they wanted.  You’re probably too young to remember Rosie the Riviter (“that little frail can do/ more that a male can do/ Rosie – brrrrrrr – the Riverter!” )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2E613J9m0I
        I was a paid camp counsellor at 16 and a reporter at 18.  Then -- with the war not long over -- with only a bachelor's degree I went right into a position as the journalism department at a small college, paid extra to live in a dorm as “house mother” to boot.    
       Anyhow, what brought all this on was something Amy found while we were researching the 1944 issues of the Penn Yan Chronicle Express the other day.  My father was superintendent of the clothing plant that was the village’s biggest employer.  He died more than 60 years ago, so it was a delight for me to find a little classified ad he must have written -- it sounds like him.  Shows you how hard up he was for workers:


I do like the factory's phone number -- 424

1 comment:

  1. What a joy it must have been to come across your father's work in this unexpected fashion!

    But it's just as well I wasn't around then and didn't apply. The way I use a needle and thimble, I'd have been better off as Rosie the Riveter.

    ReplyDelete