Friday, April 3, 2015

I Wish You Could See

Two days ago I realized I needed a pair of brass candlesticks, preferably old, and I needed them in a hurry.  For some reason I didn't even think of the Internet -- probably because of the hurry part.   And for some reason what came into my head was an odd shop on the other side of town I'd seen once, maybe 25 years ago, when Norm needed to pick up something metal that needed fixing.

What was I thinking?  That the metal guy  would tell me where to look?  Was the shop still there? Could I even find it? 

Well, it was and I did.  And I wish I could show you that place -- turns out its name is Lamp Repair.  I should have taken a picture of the show window -- at any rate, here's what that window looks like from inside.


The showroom has two counters.  This one, complete with properietor,  shows his back workroom.











And here's the front counter.  I'll give you another shot of that, so you can find the cash register (look hard in the middle of the picture.)
















And what did I come away with, out of all that?  Can you believe?


When I got home, 15 minutes on the Internet identified the pair as inverted-beehive- and-diamond pattern, 1800s Victorian, made in England. 



2 comments:

  1. It's all wonderful: the candlesticks, the shop, and the proprietor! So few places like this shop actually still exist that we need to support them as much as we can.

    And a good Pesach to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful! This makes me happy. : ) There are so few people in the world who are fixing things and the "throw away" mentality drives me crazy. However, that guy doesn't look old enough to have been manning the shop when Norm went there 25 years ago? Maybe the son of the previous owner? do you know? CMS

    ReplyDelete