Wednesday, September 16, 2015

No Longer Terminating

That meditation on "terminator" as contrasted with "exterminator" brought a detailed explanation from a PhD friend who specializes in Latin -- but today's mail opens the subject again.
      One problem with writing a blog intended for and about old persons is that it appears not all that many old persons read blogs -- most viewers of this one, as far as I can tell, have not yet reached a respectable age.  So I was particularly pleased, today, to hear from someone who tells me she has moved to a senior living facility.  Says her day's highlight there is feeding the ducks, for which she has even bought genuine duck food.  The card itself shows a grebe -- close enough for government work, as we used to say.
I would have guessed I was hearing from someone of a decent age in any event, for she writes in real handwriting, what I still think of as penmanship -- never even heard that word "cursive"  until a few years ago.  Besides which, she sends a post card!  With stamps on it!   I haven't had one of those in years, except possibly -- memory vague as usual -- when Connie wrote from Newfoundland. 
      But what I started to share with you is her excellent comment on the professional who got rid of those yellowjackets --
Wouldn't an ex-terminator be one who no longer terminates?
                                            Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment